Sustainabillity and Environment
Committing to Sustainability
Here at Mike‘s Hotel and Apartments we are committed to the Implementation of Measures to help protect and Sustain the Environment of our Planet for a Better Future. Just with our well-trained Staff, we try to develop initiatives for the Reduction of the Negative Consequences of our Operate and we are Continuously improving our positive Contribution to our Local Area.
We also encourage our customers to explore the beauty of our area on foot or by bicycle and to taste the local products.
By working with our Staff and our Guests, we can contribute to a Cleaner and Safer Environment and ensure Environmental issues remain a focal point and receive due attention. In delivering our Commitment we will comply with relevant Environmental legislation and take a proactive approach to future requirements and obligations.
We continually strive to improve our Environmental practices in a range of areas:
- We have Replaced all our light bulbs with new LED bulbs.
- We have replaced all the old type TV’s with new eco-friendly Led TV’s
- All our Rooms are having energy key cards. When the guests are not in the rooms the lights and air conditions are turned off.
- All the Balcony Doors and Windows are having tramps. Once they will be opened by the guests automatically the Air Conditions are turned off.
- We have replaced most of our Air Condition Units with new Inverter Technology Units, which are using less electricity.
- We have replaced the timers for our night lights in the public areas with sensors. When is getting dark are turning on.
- Anywhere is possible in public areas we use move detector sensors to activate the lights.
- We have replaced the filters on the Showers and the Faucets and with we saving 60 % of water.
- All our toilets are having 2 flashes to save water by small flash.
- We have installed Solar Panels for our Hot Water, and also we use Inverter heat pumps.
- We change the towels of the guests only twice a week or when the guests need them.
- All our gardens water with timers late in the night, when is cooler and the sun is not so strong . by this way we use less Water.
- Some of our timers for the watering of the grasses are having sensors to stop the unnecessary use of the sprinkles
- All our water tabs on the public toilets have been replaced by water sensor tabs.
- All the cleaning products we use are eco-friendly and concentrated
- Housekeepers are using cleaning products in reusable bottles.
- We use microfiber dusters or less water and chemical consumption
- The Cleaners separate the waste for recycling
Training - Staff
- We educate all our staff 3 times a year through our annual environmental program and our future goals
- Creation of a Volunteer group to organize and participate in reforestation and regular cleaning of the seashore.
- We regularly donate linen, towels, furniture, and electrical equipment to local Charity Organisations
- We Donate to our local council for the Summer Activities of Maleme and we Support them any time they need it.
- 70% of Our Staff are Women
- We value our staff and treat them fairly and with respect, ensuring that no one is discriminated against, irrespective of age, sexuality, gender, ethnicity, religion, culture, family condition, personal beliefs, or disability.
- We support hiring staff from the local community.
Recycle - Reuse
- We have recycling bins for the guests
- In all our departments we separate our waste according to recycling procedures
- We only use recycling paper for our printer.
- Our printers are eco-friendly with refill toner
- All our bills from the water suppliers, electrical suppliers, Banks, etc, are coming online and not by post just to reduce the use of paper.
Our own Organic Farms
- We only use organic Virgin olive oil from our Farms
- We grow our own organic vegetables like Tomatoes, Potatoes, Cucumbers, Onions, Zucchini, Watermelons, Melons etc.
We Suggest our Guests
- We Suggest our guests turn off the faucet while brushing their teeth or Shaving
- We Suggest our guests To turn off the lights when not need them
- We Suggest our guests Turn off the Air Condition when they don't need it
- We Suggest our guests Reuse the Towels in the Bathroom and the Bed Sheets.
- We suggest the guest send them the invoices instead to print Them.
- We inform the guest and all our staff about our environment – Green Policy.
- We inform our guests about the protection of Sea Turtles and how they can help
- We encourage our guests to explore our local nature by some walks and Shop Locally during their stay .
We call all Partners, Suppliers, Staff, as well as Recipients of the hotel services, and every interested party, to support its effort and contribute accordingly to the Protection of the Environment and the achievement of the goals of our Environmental Policy.
We care about the Protection of the Sea Turtles and we Support them.
In our area Maleme and the Gulf of Chania we have the Careta Careta .
Usually, the turtles make up to 4 nests and spawn up to 120 eggs. The eggs hatch after 6 to 9 weeks. The Newborn turtles start their climbing to the surface which can last up to 4 days. When they reach the surface they wait until night when the sand is cooler and then they run towards the sea guided by the starlights.
What you should do when you are at the beach!
- Do not throw litter or any other objects on the sand.
- Avoid driving vehicles on the beach.
- Avoid throwing plastics or nylons in the sea. They get confused and swallowed them as they think that they are jellyfishes which are their primary food. This can cause death to sea turtles.
- If you see a newborn baby turtle do not touch it, it is important that they reach the sea on their own.
- Turn off or cover the lights that can be seen from the beach. Turtles often confuse these lights with starlights.
- Do not dig the nests.
- On the beach, you may see several measures for the protection of the nests. Do not move or interfere with these measures.
- Avoid starting fires at the beach at night near the nests.
If you want you can make a donation to help the hard work of them
DONATIONS for the Sea Turtle
Small and large Donations can help the Sea Turtle Rescue Centre and nesting beaches. You can Simple Adopt a hatchling mother loggerhead, an incubating nest, or an injured sea turtle under rehabilitation and become a supporter of ARCHELON. Make a Donation on the following Link: Donate or Adopt a Turtle
By the Beach of Mike Hotel and Apartments
We Support and we give Donations to KIFAAMEA
Kifaamea is Daycare Center for highly autistic and disabled children in Greece.
We support them and we give them donations. In 2018 with the Crete Veterans of the Battle of Crete we gave them 18000 Pounds - about 22000 euros - to help them to buy a New School Bus. In 2023 we gave them with a Help of a Guest Mr. Sandlin 1000 Pounds. To Support them, also every Year we organize Charity Raffle with the Crete - UK Veterans Society.
You can simply make also a Donation by contacting us .
Explore Our Local area
We are here to give our Guests suggestions to explore our local area. Visit our section Places to Visit Crete
Our Targets for the Future and 2023 :
- Seek recycling options for more waste streams (Plastic, Glass, Paper, Aluminum)
- Increase the awareness of our guest awareness through recycling bins and signs within our premises
- Seek more Recycling streams
- Staff training on recycling practices
- Thoroughly monitor possible food wastage (FIFO, Food Wastage prior
production monitoring) Target met
- Reduction in total consumption/guest night
- More signs in staff areas
- Proactive repairs in equipment,
- Energy-efficient equipment for all new installations
- Retain a fair men/women employment ratio
- Receive zero staff complaints
- Increase in staff training percentage
- Retain a high local employment ratio
- Retain diversity of employment ethnicities
- Increase donations and expand charity work including topics about community promotion and labor conditions and human rights in training sessions